10.08.2008

UPDATE -Ben

Well, most of the family and ward knows, but here's the story to get you caught up:

Last Friday (October 3rd) Ben started acting off. Starting around midnight, he wanted to eat every hour. At 10am he stopped eating all together and began to loose pigment in his skin. Cynthia finally took Ben to Kaiser (local clinic) and after examining Ben, told Cynthia to take him to Children's Hospital. I arrived around 5:30pm at Kaiser and we then proceeded to Children's. We were admitted at the emergency room and after they checked us in they began to examine Ben and came away with some obvious conclusions. Ben was pale by this time, seriously like a ghost. He was very lethargic and barely responding. I took Alex Jr. home with me around 8:30pm. Meanwhile they poked and prodded Ben (who didn't even make a noise). They determined that he had some sort of infection going on a immediately started him on anti-biotics and addmited him to the PICU (Paediatric Intensive Care Unit) on a breathing tube, a tube down his nose for bile (he had started to throw up as well by now), an IV in his arm and another IV hybrid in his neck. He was in the PICU until Monday when they upgraded his condition (by now he was looking and responding really well) and moved us to the normal patient rooms. Tuesday they determined that he was doing really well and around 9pm administered his last anti-biotic injection. Well, Cynthia and Ben had a rough night. He fussed a lot and neither got a lot of sleep. The next morning the doctors accessed the situation and after some tests, determined that Ben was still fighting something (his White Blood Cell count had quadripled). So they put him back on the meds and continue to access the situation. They believe that he has a, I don't know how to explain it well, but it's like a companion disease to Hirschsprung's called Hirschsprung's Associated Enterocolitis. According to the doctor's we might have been out of here by the weekend, but since this relapse (so to speak) we'll be here probably untill early next week. Meanwhile, Ben is doing fine, Cynthia is holding up and we hope we can get out of here soon.

Thanks for all your prayers and help. I am thankful for text-messaging and the internet for saving me about a thousand phone calls. I'll try to keep you posted.

6 comments:

the coltons said...

man, what a tough little guy. we are thinking of you always.

Gwen said...

Wow! You're in my prayers!

Borland family said...

You're in our prayers. If you need anything...ok, so you can't call me, butyou know my parents are there to help.

Miguel Angel said...

Tambien estan en las oraciones de la nueva Familia Fernandez.

fuerza!

Dunn Family said...

You guys are really tough. I don't think I could handle it. Cynthia, you are amazing! I would be crying every day if I were you! We are praying for you. Keep us posted.

D.B. said...

Man, sorry to hear it, hang in there. Que Dios les Bendigas!